SMOOTH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
In small saucepan over very low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth; pour into small bowl.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 bars (3 ounces) HERSHEY'S Bittersweet Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gradually add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, beating until smooth. If necessary, refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes or to spreading consistency. About 1 cup frosting.
Petit Four Fondant Icing
- 3/4 C hot water
- 11/2 C sifted granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. corn syrup or 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- about 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- paste color as desired (orange for Pumpkin Faces)
In a 2 quart saucepan, combine the water, granulated sugar and corn syrup. Stir to mix and was down sides of pan with a wet brush as needed. Bring to a flili boil (220 degrees on a candy thermometer) and immediately remove from heat. Put pan on a cake rack and let it cool for ten minutes or until the temperature drops to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Now add vanilla and sugar one cup at a time until six cups have been added. Let icing stand until it is lukewarm (around 95 degrees) and dip finger into icing. Let the icing run off your finger and if it is transparent, add more sugar. Color and pour over the cooled cookies. If you run out. gather fondant icing that spilled onto wax paper and reheat, adding just a little hot water to pouring consistency.
Decorate faces onto cookies in chocolate buttercream and add leaves in green.